Not all logo makers are equal in terms of the quality and creativity of the logos they produce, as it depends on the underlying technology they use. Some utilize AI to generate unique logos that you can instantly use for your business. To simplify the process of selecting a logo maker, we evaluated various free and paid tools and came up with a list of the top online logo makers.
Our criteria included logo quality, cost and purchasing options, user-friendliness, and customer support. We also considered additional features like bonus branding materials to give extra points. We aim to make logo maker selection easy for you, whether you are creating a logo for yourself or your client in 2023.
How to choose the best logo maker
Finding the right logo makers starts by focusing on your main needs. Do you need just a logo? Do you need related services, like websites, branded designs, and LLCs? Do you need a business email?
Logo quality and customizability: Choosing a logo maker that provides the best logos is a good start since it already removes more than half of the list (we’ve done this part for you). The quality means that logos are in a vector format, follow basic logo design principles, and are unique.
Cost & pricing options: The point of logo makers is that they are cheaper than hiring a logo designer, so there’s no point in picking an expensive logo maker. For the logo only, expected prices range from $20 to $100.
Ease of use: A logo maker should be easy to use, even for those without any design experience. Look for a logo maker with a simple and intuitive interface that allows you to create a logo quickly and easily. Some logo makers even use AI to make better logos faster.
Customer support: One of the best ways to spot a good (or bad) logo maker is to check its support site. Look for lots of details and well-written content that you feel would help you in whatever tricky situations you may find yourself in. Live chat support is also an incredible feature that helps you solve any problems within minutes. Email support can be surprisingly speedy, with some providers responding within a couple of hours.
Additional features: Some logo makers may offer additional features, such as branded designs, website builders, and LLC formation services. Consider what other services you might need and find a logo maker that offers them as well.
Best logo makers of 2023
Best overall logo maker
- Ease of use:
- Very easy (AI-powered)
- 7 days
- Logo quality:
Overview: Looka produces the best logos among logo makers thanks to the AI engine. It costs $20 or $65 to download logos or $92 to $192 per year for additional features. Read our full Looka review »
Why Looka is the best overall logo maker: Looka has all the features you would expect in a top-quality logo maker, including an AI-powered logo maker, 300+ automatically created branded designs, and a simple website builder.
Pros & Cons
- Beautiful, highly customizable logos
- A reliable way to make good-looking logos
- $3,000+ in Exclusive Offers
- Simple and fast workflow
- Branding Kit with 300+ premade designs
- Auto-generated logos often differ from your directions
- The website is sometimes slow
- Logo quality: Looka stands out among logo makers with its AI-powered engine and capable logo editor, providing the highest logo quality available. This makes it the best choice if you’re looking to create a logo only.
- Cost: Logo downloads are available as one-off purchases for $20 (PNG logo) or $65 (vector logo). Yearly subscriptions are also available, starting at $96 per year, offering unlimited changes to your logo, over 300 branded designs, and exclusive benefits like social posts, business cards, and email signatures. For $192 per year, you also get access to a website builder.
- Ease of use: Looka offers a modern and intuitive interface, making the logo creation process fully guided and easy to understand. The logo editor is simple to use, with most users able to grasp it within a minute.
- Customer support: Looka provides friendly and knowledgeable customer support through email and live chat. Quick response times can be expected, with email replies received within an hour on weekends and live chat available from 9 AM to 9 PM EST. The chat system is linked to a help center and knowledge base, with a chatbot available if customer service is not immediately available.
- Additional features: In addition to its logo maker, Looka is known for its Brand Kit, which is available with two subscriptions ($96 and $192 per year). It provides access to over 300 designer-made templates, including social media posts, business cards, and email signatures, that can be easily edited using the user-friendly Brand Kit editor. The Social Media Kit, available with premium and business subscriptions, offers over 100 pre-designed templates and the ability to customize with your logo and brand colors, allowing for ongoing access to all designs and the ability to transform templates into marketing materials.
Best all-in-one logo maker
- Ease of use:
- Logo quality:
Overview: Tailor Brands is a good solution for new business owners who need help with other aspects of starting a business besides logo creation. Read our full Tailor Brands review »
Why Tailor Brands is the best all-in-one logo maker: Tailor Brands also offers a sophisticated website builder, domain registration, business email creation, LLC formation (for the US), branded designs, business bank accounts, business insurance, and tax filing.
Pros & Cons
- It’s an all-in-one solution
- Very easy to create simple websites
- Replies to most customer reviews and tries solving their issues
- Unclear pricing
- Logo maker needs some improvement
- Limited usability for non-US users
- Logo Quality: Tailor Brands’ logo maker is good and can produce beautiful logos, but the quality may not be on par with Looka.
- Cost: Tailor Brands offers three subscription options, ranging from $2.50 to $49.99 per month, with different durations to choose from (1 month, 1 year, 2 years). Subscriptions include access to additional features such as branded designs, website creation, an online store, and a chat implementation for your website. Alternatively, you can opt for an LLC formation subscription, costing $49 for LLC formation only or $199 to $249 for all of Tailor Brands’ offerings. This option saves you over $200 compared to purchasing each feature separately.
- Ease of Use: Tailor Brands is user-friendly and provides a step-by-step roadmap for business creation upon account creation. The only downside is the pricing, which is not transparent, making it difficult to plan ahead.
- Customer Support: Customer support is available through an online form (email) and an online help page section. Unfortunately, there is no live chat or phone support available. However, responses to emails are prompt and received on the same day.
- Additional Features: Tailor Brands is popular for its LLC formation service, which is easier and cheaper than hiring an agent or lawyer. The waiting period can also be waived for a few additional dollars. The website creation feature is more advanced than Looka, offering two building options (template-based and automated) and numerous layouts. Other recommended features include email creation, business insurance, tax handling, and running your store.
Best free logo maker
- Ease of use:
- Very easy
- Yes (30 days)
- Logo quality:
Overview: Canva Logo Maker is based on you customizing and adapting templates created by professionals to match your brand. Read our full Canva Logo Maker review »
Why Canva Logo Maker is the best free logo maker: In addition to professional logo templates, Canva has a plethora of other functions, including easy design creation, stock images, and lots more—everything a small business needs for graphic design, available for free and with a free trial
Pros & Cons
- Easy to use drag-and-drop editor
- Thousands of logo templates
- You can change every aspect of a logo
- Completely free account
- No AI logo generation
- You have to do most of the work by yourself
- No mockups or branding handouts
- Logo Quality: Logos you create with Canva will be very high quality because the templates were created by professionals, but they might be too derivative and overused, which might make it hard to trademark your logo.
- Cost: Canva’s logo maker is included in the Canva subscription. You can use it completely free forever with the Canva free account, but you won’t be able to download an SVG logo, which is crucial. You can also get Canva Pro free for 30 days. In addition to the free account, you can subscribe for $12.99 per month or $9.99 per month when subscribed yearly.
- Ease of Use: Canva is widely popular due to its simplicity (and affordable pricing). All you have to do to create a logo in Canva is browse the templates, pick the one you like, and then modify it using a drag-and-drop editor.
- Customer Support: If you run into trouble, Canva customer support isn’t the best. It usually takes 2 business days to reply, and even then you might have trouble solving the issue.
- Additional Features: In addition to logo, you can create hundreds of designs in Canva. It’s widely popular for creating social media posts, banners, ads, inforgraphics, invoices, and even simple videos.
How we tested the best logo makers
We reviewed more than 20 paid and free online logo makers. The logo makers we reviewed represent the most popular and overall considered the best logo makers by graphic designers and business owners.
Photutorial scores logo makers based on criteria that have a meaningful impact on the quality of the logo, the cost of creating a logo yourself, and the ease of use, all of which impact the success of businesses.
The best logo makers scored the highest based on the weighting in the following categories:
- Quality of logos: 40%
- Cost & pricing options: 30%
- Ease of use: 15%
- Customer support: 15%
- Additional features: 5 bonus points
Our focus on quality and price is what we consider reflective of customers’ top priorities when comparing logo makers.
What is a logo maker?
While logo makers can mean several things, including graphic designers who create logos or software used to create logos, in this article, we refer to online logo makers. These online platforms are ideal for DIY logo creation, serving as an inexpensive and fast way of creating a new logo that is particularly popular among entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Related: What are logo makers?
Pros and cons of logo makers
There are a number of benefits and drawbacks to consider before deciding to choose a logo maker.
- Logo makers are an affordable option for small businesses or individuals who need a logo but don’t have the budget to hire a professional designer.
- They offer a fast and convenient solution, allowing you to create a logo in just a few minutes.
- There is a large variety of templates to choose from, which means you can easily find one that matches your brand’s style.
- Most logo makers offer the ability to easily edit and customize your design to make it unique.
- You have the freedom to design and revise your logo as many times as you want without incurring additional costs.
- The selection of templates and customization options may be limited compared to hiring a professional designer.
- The logos created by logo makers are often generic and may not stand out in a crowded market.
- The design quality may be lower than that of a professionally designed logo.
- There may be restrictions on the use of the logo, such as not being able to trademark it or use it for commercial purposes.
- There may be hidden fees for downloading high-resolution versions or vector files.
How to use a logo maker?
Logo makers range from highly automated, AI-powered online platforms that do most of the work for you to logo templates and old-school editors where you have to do everything yourself. The AI-powered logo makers are the easiest to use, so they are also the highest on our list. Here’s how to use them:
- Provide instructions. Depending on the logo maker, you can choose the type of fonts, color palette, layout, samples of logos you like, your business industry and audience, and what you want it to convey.
- Browse suggestions. You will receive from 5 to 20+ initial ideas based on your inputs. Some logo makers follow your instructions very well, while others deviate too much. You can also usually load more ideas.
- Edit the logo. The best logo makers let you edit your favorite logo idea. Depending on the logo maker, you can change either all aspects of the design or a few.
- Download the logo. Unfortunately, you won’t find any worthy free logo makers. If you want a half-decent logo for your business, you will have to pay a small amount. Luckily, most logo makers are very affordable, costing less than $50 for a logo.
Alternatives to logo makers
If a logo maker isn’t the right option for your business’s needs, there are other ways to get a unique and professional logo designed. Here are a few of the most popular alternatives to a logo maker.
Freelance graphic designers
Freelance graphic designers can provide a customized logo design tailored to your business needs. This option allows you to communicate directly with the designer, giving you more control over the final product. However, this option could be more expensive than a logo maker, so make sure you have a budget in place.
Crowdsourcing platforms such as 99designs allow you to post a design brief and receive submissions from multiple graphic designers. You can then select the best design, which is usually delivered in a matter of days. This option can be cost-effective, but make sure you choose a designer who has experience and good ratings on the platform.
If you have design skills, you can create a logo yourself using DIY software such as Canva or Adobe Illustrator. These software options come with pre-made templates and design elements, making it easy to create a unique logo that fits your business needs.
Design agencies are professional organizations that specialize in graphic design, branding, and marketing. They can provide a comprehensive branding solution, including logo design, website design, and marketing materials. This option is ideal for businesses looking for a complete branding overhaul, but it could be expensive.
Unlimited graphic design services
Unlimited graphic design services offer ongoing design support for a monthly fee. You can have unlimited revisions and request designs for any marketing or branding needs you have. This option is ideal for businesses who need frequent design updates and want to have a consistent brand image.
Online design contests
Online design contests are similar to crowdsourcing platforms, but allow you to post a design brief and have multiple designers compete to create the best logo design. You can then select the best design and receive the final files. This option is cost-effective, but make sure you choose a reputable platform with a good track record.
In-house design team
If your business is large enough, you can have an in-house design team create your logo and other branding materials. This option allows for more control over the design process and ensures that all designs are consistent with your brand image. However, this option can be expensive and requires a significant investment in staffing and equipment.
Keep in mind that the best option for you will depend on your design skills, budget, and timeline. Make sure you research each option thoroughly before making a decision.
Best logo makers FAQs
What is the best logo maker?
Currently, Looka tops our list of the best logo makers. It delivers the best logo quality in a short time thanks to the powerful AI engine. It also features beautifully designed branded graphics in its Brand Kit, which you can get for free with an active subscription.
About your guide
Matic Broz is a multifaceted creative professional, with experience as a photographer, graphic designer, and business owner. He has a decade of experience in helping other creatives improve their craft and start their own businesses. His writing and research have been featured in notable publications such as The Guardian, PetaPixel, and USA Today. Additionally, his scientific research has been recognized with a cover feature in the prestigious MDPI-owned journal. In his leisure time, he enjoys photography, hiking, and spending time with dogs. Read more
Information provided on Photutorial is for educational purposes only. Your situation is unique and the products and services we review may not be right for your circumstances. We do not offer financial advice, nor do we recommend or advise individuals to buy or sell particular stocks or services. Performance information may have changed since the time of publication. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
Photutorial adheres to strict editorial integrity standards. To the best of our knowledge, all content is accurate as of the date posted, though offers contained herein may no longer be available. The opinions expressed are the author’s alone and have not been provided, approved, or otherwise endorsed by our partners.